HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

Cherry Almond Cupcake

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Katharine Hepburn Brownies

 
I can remember the first time I tasted a brownie. In my mind, heaven no longer consisted of streets of gold --it was paved with delicious chewy chocolate brownies!!
Years later, when store bought brownies and brownie mixes hit the supermarket shelves, I always felt let down after tasting them.  They were a gooey chocolate mess. 
In 2003, Gourmet magazine published a recipe for brownies- It was a recipe originating from the beloved actress, Katharine Hepburn. Intrigued, I baked a batch that evening. 
I have never tried another brownie recipe since. These are so simple to mix and bake. They have a wonderful crunchy top crust and a delectable chewy interior. You just HAVE to try them!

Katharine Hepburn Brownies

Ingredients:
1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional) I sometimes use pecans too.

1. In a saucepan, melt together butter and  unsweetened chocolate;
take the saucepan off the heat.

2. Stir in sugar, then eggs.

3. Stir in flour.

4. Add chopped walnuts ( or pecans, if you choose) with vanilla.


5. Pour into a buttered and floured 8x8" square baking pan.

6. Bake in 325 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.
Now for my sweetheart on Valentines Day,
I serve them warm out of the oven with a generous helping of vanilla ice cream.
That's the way he loves them!



But they are just as wonderful cooled completely and eaten solo!


However you choose to eat them, these brownies are always a treat!



For the original recipe, go to

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Faith and Jose!

    Faith, these brownies are soooo good!!
    Let me know what you think when you try the recipe!

    Jose, Lovely poetry! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I luv them...had to google what about 1 Stick of Butter...(we don't know sticks of butter in germany)....now i know thats nearly 115gr Butter... this recipe's on my "to try"-list ^^

    Greetz,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry Sarah! I should have thought of that!
    Yes, or 1/2 cup --or 8 ounces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am so happy, that I found this recipe on your blog! I had that one time and was amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete

"God gave us our memories so that we might have roses in December." ~J M Barrie